Spa managers face numerous challenges, the number one challenge being how to stand out from the pack to attract customers while delivering on the customer promise to keep them returning. With the imminent recession and the added issue of training and keeping quality staff, the challenge of maintaining growth and retaining profits in this competitive industry is increasing.
To attract and retain customers plus save money, hundreds of luxury spas worldwide utilize and retail the unique and extensive Moor Spa 100% Natural Source Skin and Body Care Product Line. These magically distinctive products have a low price point since the entire line is manufactured in-house at Moor Spa’s 7000 sq ft manufacturing facility in Vancouver, Canada. Having no out-sourced manufacturer results in a lower wholesale cost for you.
For over twelve years, Moor Spa has been privileged to assist leading Spa’s in creating outstanding experiences for their customers. We have come to recognize that like creating premier body care products, creating a successful spa that can withstand economic and competitive pressures really just comes down to the use and expert blending of key, quality ingredients.
• Maintaining profit through economic downturn
• Attracting, training and retaining quality staff while keeping costs down
• Creating and retaining customer trust
• Standing out from the competition
So, what are our winning ingredients for an irresistibly successful spa?
Rewarding Profit Centres
• Retail Revenues: 89% of spas have a retail component with the core revenue generators being skin and body care products. Still, most spas do an inadequate job of boosting revenue from this easily profitable centre. Spas retailing the Moor Spa Product Line have witnessed increased sales with minimal staff effort when the following formula is followed: 1) ‘cheat sheets’ that are designed to be easily utilized by staff to enhance sales of retail products in a way that educates, encourages and sustains relationship. 2) point of sale and shelf talkers that will educate the client and sell product with minimal staff effort. 3) stand alone banner displays designed to attract, educate and beautifully blend in with your spa ambiance. 4) a product tester display and incentive program. This is a no-brainer, yet Moor Spa has discovered that it is surprisingly underutilized. It is a very effective way to stimulate increased retail sales.
Engaged and Thriving Staff:
The spa industry’s ongoing challenge is staff turnover and managing the expense of training and retaining. Moor Spa is constantly eliciting feedback from our clients and their staff to continually evolve our training to keep it fun, memorable and sales stimulating.
Use of our free, innovative, on-line training media is engaging, easily accessible at your convenience and naturally builds up the skill and confidence of your staff. The ultimate benefit being a truly satisfied client who trusts your spa and its professionals.
Building Relationship with Your Customers:
• Trust: The 2007 ISPA report and analysis of the industry advises that the key to continued growth is in increasing the number of spa visits. Developing a relationship and fulfilling customer trust is the key to establishing loyalty. This starts well before your customer first visits your spa. Your marketing, your core message regarding your spa, is what will attract your customer. How does your message differentiate you as a spa? What are you offering that is appealing to your potential customer and are your offerings consistent with your messaging? More important, once you have attracted customers with your messaging, is the customer experience consistent with that messaging? In other words, are you establishing trust? Presenting a 100% Natural Source, time tested and proven skin/body care line says, ’We care’. Care being the fundamental component of trust.
• Well-being: The market research is very clear: with spa consumers, there is increased focus on health and wellness and the spa concept has evolved into a lifestyle choice that many people are buying into (ISPA 2006). Are your products and treatment protocols consistent with the consumer demand for wellness? Do your spa’s offerings fulfill the desired wellness lifestyle of your customers? With the growing body of evidence for the potentially life damaging effects of a multitude of commonly used synthetic ingredients in skin and body care products, we feel that it is the responsibility of spa managers and professionals, as proponents of wellness, to use only products that are 100% Natural Source and to educate their customers on the wellness implications of toxic synthetic ingredients. Moor Spa has found this to be both ethically and economically advantageous since switching all of its formulations to 100% Natural Source ingredients in 2004.
The Bottom Line:
Your goal is to create an Irresistible Spa, this includes the expert blending of quality staff, ambiance, blissful products/treatments and inspiring benefits/results. Spa Managers know that the synergy between these factors is a key component in spa success and Moor Spa knows it is an ongoing challenge creating and maintaining that synergy. We invite you to incorporate Moor Spa’s role as a team player in helping you custom blend these ingredients into a stand out spa experience.
© SPA MANAGEMENT JOURNAL - JUNE 2008